Thursday 14 May 2009

Planting out

Last Saturday I planted six Savoy cabbage seedlings out into the garden proper. Today I went to water then and found only five!

I've planted out about 20 sweet pea seedlings in various spots around the garden. Some are doing well, some are looking a bit brown.

The oca are doing well - seven plants up at the back, and at least five up in the other two beds. I didn't earth them up; mostly because I'm not sure what earthing up is?

The leaves on the Williams Red pear are still curled. I hope it doesn't have some sort of "leaf curl" problem.

Four of the purple passion asparagus seeds sprouted. I've potted them on into individual pots but for the sake of preserving them, I had better get an asparagus bed sorted in the garden soon.

The helipterums need to be planted out soon - they are outgrowing the seed tray.

I transplanted some of the beetroot seedlings on advice from a friend. There are about 20 of them in the garden now, they're doing OK. Give them another week to see how many survive.

Last weekend I planted up more seed trays: sweetcorn, cucumbers, borlotti beans and pumpkins/squash. None of the beans I planted earlier have done much. Of the two beans I got from Amanda, one has been eaten to death and the other one is struggling.

The plastic cover on my cheap Lidl greenhouse is splitting (already). When I do up or undo the zips on the plastic roll at the front, the zip splits a bit more from the plastic, so there are huge gaps letting the cool air in.

The Honeoye strawberry has one big fat red strawberry on it. With luck, and if the snails don't get there first, it will be ripe for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment