Sunday 11 April 2010

Gardening Club - April

This month's talk was on colour for all seasons, and although our guest speaker seemed to have an enormous garden and budget to match, I wrote down some of his suggestions but on double checking on the internet with other people's pictures the ones I most liked were:
  • Wintersweet (Chimonanthus)
  • Witchhazel (hamamelis) for the great flowers in winter
  • Pseudowintera colorata, a plant with NZ origins, also called Horopito
  • Species tulips were recommended over other types as they last longer
  • Acer auroa, a japanese maple with yellow autumn leaves
  • Delphiniums
  • Leucanthemum (daisies) - he recommended shaggy but I've just seen one called Goldrausch which is yellow and shaggy
  • Hedychium (ginger!) which I didn't know you could grow here but he seems to be doing so. The varieties I noted were Carnival, Pink Flame, Spicatum and densifloram Assam Orange. I'd love to grow ginger so will look into this.
  • Colletia cruciata, an amazing looking plant that's more like an art collage. Look it up.
  • Astrantia major
  • Eryngium which I like the look of but am not sure I would want to grow them as they look a little too much like thistles
  • Verbena
  • Helenium which seems to come in attractive bright yellow/orange/red combinations

No comments:

Post a Comment