Sunday 6 June 2010

June... and harvest not too far away.

Why is the scarlet kale scarlet in one part of the garden and green in another part?


Apples and pears in progress. Unhappily one of our three pears has fallen from the tree so our harvest will be reduced by one third.


Raspberries: this year subject to aphid attach which has never happened before. Damn and blast. Still, the bushes are thick with fruit, we just have to fight the sap-sucking insects for it.


So much expense, so much careful planting and hoping, but in the end, all I got was three Pretty in Purple chilli sprouts.


The teasel. It is now approaching six foot and growing taller every day. It's not an attractive plant by any means.


More tomatoes planted out. More tomatoes potted on. I feel like I have hundreds but we'll see when it comes to fruiting whether that's the case.
Squashes all potted on: got Queensland Blue, Waltham and Jamaican grey (shall we call it). About 12 in total.
All Morton's secret and a large part of the Salad bowl lettuces are in the ground now.
Aubergine has a flower and hints of another flower so we shall have a fruit. Hurrah.
All the purple beans are in the garden now, in three separate clusters. So far surviving against slug attack. If I get beans I will be very impressed.
Some 20 sweetcorn sprouts. Only about thumb height right now but I think they grow quickly.
Five cucumbers: the Tatoma seem to be the tall ones, close to 12 inches/30 cm tall by now. The Wautoma are much shorter.
Melon: only one melon hatched and I am in two minds about what to do. I've put it outside the greenhouse and so far it's doing OK. I don't know whether to keep it in a pot or plant it out into the ground. I guess we see how the summer goes.
First of the strawberries is turning red... not long now!





No comments:

Post a Comment