Sunday 9 May 2010

Bugs and Buds

Good news! There are three budding pear babies on the Williams Red. Bad news! Aphids (or greenfly or whatever you want to call them) have infested the new growth on the apple trees so it looks like it will be a battle over the summer between me and them. For today I've blasted them with fine spray to push them off the leaves and I've also removed the worst affected leaves but I don't believe for a minute it's fixed. This is going to be a nasty fight.

Elsewhere in the garden I finally have sign that some oca is coming up in the patch down under the wisteria. At least one oca, anyway.

In the veggie patch, the chinese broccoli are being eaten. Not by snails or slugs (no trails) so it must be some kind of cabbage moth kind of thing. Another battle on my hands there.

Last night at gardening club, I won a raffle prize and picked a plant - it's like a large perennial cornflower they tell me. Well it has buds on it, I thought why not.

Today I planted out Gana's peas and the biggest of the scarlet kales. I've also dropped a few of more spring onion seeds in but not giving much hope there. No sign of life on the purple beans yet and some of the tomatoes I planted out are suffering a bit. They're going to continue to suffer because the temperature is down to 5 degrees tonight.

The loganberry doesn't look happy. But I found one - just one - of the yellow beets I planted has hatched. Yippee!

All the sunflower sprouts have now been planted out. I dug up a batch of bluebells which I identified as Spanish, not English. I need to get something and work on the dandilions in the lawn, and to root out (literally) the bindweed which is starting to appear all over the place again. But it the neighbours don't tackle it too...

No comments:

Post a Comment