Saturday 1 May 2010

May begins

Bank holiday weekend, three days off work, should be an excellent gardening time if it weren't for the weather. Today I managed to get some planting done: purple bean seeds passed on by my boss; the last of the wenks yellow and pretty in purple chillis from real seeds; a row of Queensland blue pumpkin seeds and another row of the heritage yellow pear tomatoes.

Turns out there was a snail in my greenhouse. It bypassed all the other plants and headed straight for the zinnia seedlings. Bastard. Well it's now met its maker so will not be doing any more harm to my zinnias but it's possible that yet again, I'm going to have a poor show on the zinnia front this year.

Strawberries are flowering like crazy so we're excited that there will be a bumper crop this year. Still no flowers on the redcurrant though. I double checked the pear tree pollination groups and Beurre Hardy and Red Williams are in the same group. Maybe the Beurre is just having a little tizzy although the James Grieve I got in the same shipment has flowers. Maybe pears are just a little more temperamental. I would be so happy to get some apples this year! Even just a couple!

Last night it rained heavily and today I see the first poppies have come out. The rain has beaten the tulips about so they are on their way out. The cucumbers in the greenhouse are getting their first true leaves so soon I'll be able to transplant them into bigger pots. I may even try planting a few more.
And now, a few pictures from the garden last month:
Apple tree blossom: the Cox Orange Pippin

Pear tree blossom: the Red Williams

Tulip: just one of the many

No comments:

Post a Comment